Civilian again

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Feb 15 11:01:52 UTC 2007

Because of my position at Wayne I spend a lot of time with the
professional computing crowd.  We/they use the term 'civilian' to refer
to those who don't have computing expertise.  A colleague, a UNIX geek,
and director of networking for the university, for example, after
describing hours he had just spent getting his home printer to talk to
his home computer, exclaimed 'What do civilians do?'

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Nathan
Department of English/Computing and Information Technology