Wheel and deal

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Feb 16 00:44:43 UTC 2007

>The following looks plausible:
>
>http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=113188
>
>Quote: Dictionary.com
>
>wheel and deal Operate or manipulate for one's own interest, especially in
>an aggressive or unscrupulous way. For example, Bernie's wheeling and
>dealing has made him rich but not very popular. This term comes from
>gambling in the American West, where a wheeler-dealer was a heavy bettor
>on the roulette wheel and at cards. [Colloquial; c. 1940]

I guess that etymology looks superficially plausible. It seems to be
endorsed by Robert Hendrickson, who gives (in my copy of his
'encyclopedia') the usual number of supporting citations (zero).

Here's an alternative, which I just now made up, which also looks
superficially plausible:

----------

This term appeared in the 1930's as an elaboration of the verb "deal"
(i.e., make deals). Possibly the "wheel" part refers to "big wheel" [as
stated in OED etc.], or possibly it refers to the dealer turning this way
and that in his dealings. It has no identifiable relation to gambling in
the old west.

Citations supporting 1930's and later use can be gotten from
Newspaperarchive (also lack of earlier citations, supporting earlier
non-use, with the usual caveat about the capricious search engine).

Which of these etymological stories (mine or Hendrickson's) best matches
the whole available historical record?

You can guess which one I'd choose, based on my very very limited
information. I would of course change my mind immediately upon receipt of
appropriate evidence.

-- Doug Wilson