BURR-Y is not 'non-standard' (was Eggcorn?)

Sun Feb 18 12:43:52 UTC 2007

In a message dated 2/15/07 1:35:30 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> a footnote: i pronounce "bury" to rhyme with "curry" rather than
> "Terry" -- yes, i know this is non-standard

The "curry" pronunciation is certainly not "non-standard" in those regions
where it is standard. That is to say, this is a regionalism, and in such
respectable places as New Jersey the most educated of speakers pronounce BURY as if
it were etymologically related to Aaron Burr.

Are there any words other than BURY that are spelled -UR- but have the -E-
vowel in any standard variety of American English? It seems to me that the
''berry'' pronunciation of BURY is the excentric one, spellingwise. FURY HURRY
MURRY JURY as well as CURRY ...