BURR-Y is not 'non-standard' (was Eggcorn?)

Tue Feb 20 07:44:43 UTC 2007

There's a number of things going on with "bury", which had OE y, a
front rounded vowel in most dialects.  The <u> spellings in ME
reflect, depending on who you talk to, either a retention of the OE
value or (according to Roger Lass), a backing to /U/; the <i, y>
spellings reflect a value like /I/ in pin, which is what you could
expect if everything developed regularly.  In Kentish ME, as in
Kentish OE, /y/ > /E/.  The modern pronunciation with /E/ reflects
this Kentish value, while the BURR-Y pronunciation could be from
either of the other two values (cf. first, also with OE y, and turn,
with /U/.)

Berry= burrow comes from OE beorg, and is regularly developed (as OE
eo > /E/ ) and you'd expect the g to become /i/ in this position.

Paul Johnston