village idiot

dwhause@jobe.net dwhause at JOBE.NET
Wed Feb 21 02:55:45 UTC 2007

I have this "This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot."  coming from a purported collection of sarcastic British
military officer fitness reports from a Nov. 96 email.  (the whole thing is available if anyone wants such.)
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot LaFaive" <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: "Village Idiot" (1907?) and "Texas Village Idiot" (1997?)

I just did a quick search of Google and Google Books for "(missing/without)
their/its village idiot" and found nada on GB and roughly 100 on Google,
nearly all referring to Bush. So it seems to have only started occurring in
this phrase from around 2000. I don't remember if anyone else had done
searches on it and what was found (already deleted those emails), so let me
know if it (the whole phrase) is older and not referring to Bush.
Scot