hippies

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 22 19:06:57 UTC 2007

An interesting alleged history of the word at the bottom of this page.
[citation needed], they note: <http://hippietshirts.blogspot.com/>

The writeup includes the following:

"The term hipster was coined by Harry Gibson in 1940, and used by the
American Beat generation during the 1940s and 1950s to describe jazz
and swing music performers. The word evolved to describe bohemian
counterculture. [10] In 1963, British band The Swinging Blue Jeans
released the song "Hippy Hippy Shake", which rose to #2 in the British
charts and #24 in the US. On the east coast of the U.S. in Greenwich
Village, young counterculture advocates were named hips. At that time,
to be hip meant to be "in the know" or "cool", as opposed to being
called a stodgy "square". Disaffected youth from the suburbs of New
York City flocked to Village coffeehouses in their oldest clothes to
fit into the counterculture,. Radio station WBAI was the first media
outlet to use the term hippie as a pejorative term meaning "hip
wannabes", describing the poorly-dressed, middle class youths.
[citation needed]"

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>