It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Feb 23 15:08:02 UTC 2007

I would strongly urge anyone interested to actually read the bill in
question. You can find it by going to
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/c110query.html and searching on bill number
HR997.

It's my (non-lawyer) understanding that English-language laws and
regulations are already de facto privileged in the US. When there is an
issue with the language the courts always go to the original text for
interpretation, which is in all cases English. This argument is a stalking
horse used to get otherwise reasonable people to support the measure.

This bill does indeed require those petitioning or doing business with the
government to do so in English (except in a small number of exceptional
instances). Non-criminal court proceedings (which would include immigration
and deportation hearings) would have be conducted in English with no
obligation for the government to provide translation--and if provided it
would be the translator's English words that would be the privileged
version, not the words of the person giving the testimony.

Furthermore, the bill is not limited to the federal government, but also
imposes the English-only rules on the 50 states and the District of Columbia
regardless of the wishes and needs of the local legislators and people.

The only good thing about this bill is that it has little chance of actually
going anywhere in the Democrat-controlled House.