Search for source of quote: "Always tell the truth..."

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 26 07:12:23 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
>     Would anyone (Fred?) know the origin of the following quote: "Always tell the truth. You will confound your enemies and conceal your true intentions."
>
>      I came across it years ago and since then have thought the attribution was to
>  Disraeli. But now, with Google and YBQ available, I don't find it among Disraeli's quotes
>  and thus far at least haven't been able to locate it on Google. I suspect I'm overlooking
>  something obvious though.
>
>     Any help would be much appreciated.

I never knew it in your form.

Try "mark twain" and "confound your enemies" in search engines.

Various bits come up.

I don't know, of course, whether Twain ever said any such thing.
Luckily, you can search Gutenberg and find out:
<http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3200>

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>