Guys named "Buzz"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 26 18:52:15 UTC 2007

>From 1942: [caption of photo of soldier dancing with colleen] <<Pvt.
Frank
Farnetti ... teaches jitterbugging to colleen "Buzz" Johnston in North
Ireland.>>

  Now _there's_ an onomastic etymology worth tracing.  Probably unrelated to the prophesied female "Buzzes" of the future, though.

  JL

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
Subject: Re: Guys named "Buzz"

Newspaperarchive search turns up lots of mentions of persons named "Buzz":
one can find pre-WWII <>, <>, <>,
etc. I find <<"Buzz" Jones>> from 1892.

I don't find any pre-comic "Buzz Sawyer" ... although it seems natural to
me, maybe it doesn't/didn't to most people.

>From 1942: [caption of photo of soldier dancing with colleen] <
Farnetti ... teaches jitterbugging to colleen "Buzz" Johnston in North
Ireland.>>

-- Doug Wilson

 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.