dot-calm

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 1 10:27:30 UTC 2007

I'd be interested to see definitions of "merger" and "minimal pairs".

Interesting to see the tradnouncing of the "l" in "palm".  I define
tradnouncing as pronouncing letters or letter strings in usual phonetic
form, like pronouncing the "l" in "palm" or "k" in "know."

Is anyone receiving my posts?  I'm seeing no comments.  I don't mind no
comments, as long as folks see my posts.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: dot-calm
>Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:26:21 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>Subject:      Re: dot-calm
>
>I distinguish [dot] com from calm -- the latter is (speaking as a
>layman in phonetics) longer (but for me, without an L).  I also
>distinguish cot from caught.  But I also distinguish both of the
>latter two from either of the former two.
>
>I don't know if these are phonemic distinctions for me -- I don't
>want to search for minimal pairs from com and calm to cot (my caught
>is sufficiently different) -- but at least I hear them differently
>when I speak them.
>
>Joel
>
>At 12/31/2006 03:36 PM, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 12/31/2006 2:26:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >db.list at PMPKN.NET writes:
> >
> > >Anyone know if
> > >this advertisement reflects some sort of cot-caught merger incursion
> > >into the South, or if it's just some LA (or wherever) ad agency being
> > >clueless about what would work for a particular location?
> >
> >I don't have the cot-caught merger, but I do have com = calm.  (This
>doesn't
> >shed any light on phonological change in the South, but I think it's
>relevant
> >to note there are at least 2 different mergers being discussed here.)
> >
> >Doug

Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live Messenger! Get
it now