Just wondering

Victoria Neufeldt v.neufeldt at SASKTEL.NET
Mon Jan 1 19:22:01 UTC 2007

I lived in the U.S. for about 16 years (1984-2000), in Cleveland and in
Springfield, MA; I remember being struck by the use of _pocketbook_ for what
I would call a handbag or purse.  In my experience in the U.S., _pocketbook_
and _purse_ were synonymous.  _Pocketbook_ (an Americanism in this usage)
seemed the standard term, far more common than _purse_.  I don't recall a
distinction in usage based on age (i.e., I wasn't aware that _pocketbook_
was considered old-fashioned).  I think of _purse_ as being somewhat
old-fashioned in Canada (haven't done any research on this though); my own
general term is _handbag_ and that's probably the more common term in Canada
as a whole.  _Pocketbook_ for me is restricted to its extended meaning of
financial resources.  I agree with Wilson that _purse_ means _handbag_; if I
want to refer to a small container for money, etc. that you carry in your
pocket or purse/handbag, I would say _change purse_, never just _purse_.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
Editor, DSNA Newsletter
727 9th Street East