Just wondering (re: "busghetti")

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Jan 2 13:30:46 UTC 2007

The common juvenile metathesis "flutterby" for "butterfly" would seem to result from an etymological assumption.  "Busghetti," though, appears to reflect some phonological difficulty with the consonant cluster?

My (barely) 2-year-old grandson is afraid of [neks].  I can't decide whether he fails to hear the initial /s/ or is just unable to articulate it.

--Charlie