Just wondering (re: "busghetti")

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 22:11:44 UTC 2007

My baby niece was afraid of "frickets" (crickets).

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
  The common juvenile metathesis "flutterby" for "butterfly" would seem to result from an etymological assumption. "Busghetti," though, appears to reflect some phonological difficulty with the consonant cluster?

My (barely) 2-year-old grandson is afraid of [neks]. I can't decide whether he fails to hear the initial /s/ or is just unable to articulate it.

--Charlie