Illinois bans male pronoun

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Jan 4 15:36:25 UTC 2007

penpersonship? No.  Should be 'penperoffspringship.'

Fritz
>>> george.thompson at NYU.EDU 1/4/2007 7:29 AM >>>
I'm sure we all wish that our schools would go back to teaching good
penpersonship.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

> "The University of Illinois has banned the male pronoun.  Starting
> Jan. 2, 2007, all print and web-based publications, whether for
> audiences inside or outside the university, must follow the rules
> laid out in the style guide published by the university's Office
> of
> Public Affairs.  And in the section on nonsexist language, the
> style
> guide tells us:
>
> Avoid gender-specific language such as the use of a male pronoun.
>
> There it is in plain English: we may no longer refer to anyone's
> gender specifically. . . . "
>
> Read more about what's wrong with style guides at the Web of
Language: