Who invented the bola/bolo tie?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 4 18:57:34 UTC 2007

As it happens, Jon, "string tie" is precisely what I thought I
remembered as being older than "bolo tie." I just didn't have the
stones to go with it, because I also seem to remember "string tie" as
describing the kind of tie worn by card sharps / card sharks, e.g. by
James Garner as "Maverick," in horse operas.

-Wilson

On 1/4/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Who invented the bola/bolo tie?
>
> OED has "string tie" (for me the term of choice) back to 1895. The "bolo" may be slightly more specific; if so, my ety. vote is for the Argentine "bola," made "masculine" for reasons of psychology and (mainly) euphony. And, for dyslexics, the similarity to "lobo" doesn't hurt.
>
>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
-Sam'l Clemens