"Marble Ceiling" (Nancy Pelosi)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 4 20:04:07 UTC 2007

Oh, I get it. The Congressional chambers have actual marble ceilings, not actual glass ceilings.

  So it's like, you know, a metaphor for "the kind of *metaphorical* glass ceiling they have in Congress."

  It's easy when you dumb yourself down.

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "Marble Ceiling" (Nancy Pelosi)

Nancy Pelosi's speech today again mentions a "marble ceiling."
Marble ceiling? Who the hell wants a marble ceiling? What is that?
_Pelosi: 'I've Broken The Marble Ceiling', Katie Couric Speaks With ..._
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/08/eveningnews/main2164854.shtml)
Among those who had been pressing for Donald Rumsfeld's ouster is Rep. Nancy
Pelosi, soon to become the first woman to serve as Speaker of the House.
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/08/eveningne
ws/main2164854.sht_Cached_
(http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:8DGjdaZs6bAJ:www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/08/eveningnews/main2164854.shtml+"marble+ceili
ng"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&ie=UTF-8) - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/08/eve
ningnews/main2164854.shtml)

http://mail.yahoo.com