The World hates Barry, part 2731

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jan 5 04:32:16 UTC 2007

No, it denies that the story of the shaggy dog was the first such joke to become popular.  The author asserts, no doubt correctly, that other jokes of the genre were much older.  He says that the shaggy dog story appeared fairly recently (i.e., fairly recently in 1937), implying that the term "shaggy dog" had as well.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thu 1/4/2007 7:05 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: The World hates Barry, part 2731

Suggests only to deny.  Evidently the term had been in circulation for some time.

  JL

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"

So that's why shaggy dog story is still listed from 1946, with
origin unknown or uncertain. Fred Shapiro and I found a 1937 Esquire
article that discusses them and suggests that they take their name from
a prototype joke about a shaggy dog, see
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0303A&L=ADS-L&P=R1440&
I=-3.

John Baker0