"Winning Ugly" in Chicago Tribune?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 7 07:26:55 UTC 2007

I noticed that "Winning Ugly" is not in the YBQ. I've lost access to
ProQuest's Chicago Tribune. Is it there?
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/winning_ugly_texas_rangers_ma
nager_doug_rader/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/winning_ugly_texas_rangers_manager_doug_rader/)

“Winning Ugly” (Texas Rangers manager Doug Rader)

The 1983 Chicago White Sox won their division, but Texas Ranger manager Doug
Rader didn’t think they were all that good.

“They’re not playing that  well. They’re winning ugly,” Rangers manager
Doug Rader said, sometime in August  1983. The remark quickly became a slogan for
the 1983 Chicago White Sox.

_Wikipedia: Doug  Rader_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Rader)
Douglas Lee Rader (born July 30, 1944 in Chicago,  Illinois), nicknamed “The
Red Rooster”, is a former third baseman in Major  League Baseball who was
known primarily for his defensive ability, winning five  straight Gold Glove
Awards from 1970 to 1974.

_White  Sox Interactive_
(http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:E2uj-9bwLi8J:whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/1983.htm+doug+rader+and+ugly+and+1983+and+
"white+sox"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)
Not everyone was impressed.  One out of town writer  dismissed the team as no
better than fifth in the A.L. East.  Texas manager  Doug Rader theorized that
the Sox’s bubble had to burst.  “They’re not  playing that well.  They’re
winning ugly.” Thanks, Doug.  We Sox fans  needed a rallying cry.

_White Sox  Interactive_
(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=)
Nick at Nite
09-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Too me, the whole  thing about 1983 was the battle cry “Winning Ugly”. I
remember that it was Doug  Radar, manager of the Texas Rangers who said… “Their
bubble has got to burst.  They’re not playing that well. They’re winning
ugly. At least that’s what our  reports say”.

I’m trying to remember/research the exact date of that  remark (I can be
compulsive). So far, all I can find is that it came before the  start of a four
game series with Texas, which I’m guessing came after the  All-Star game. I
swear that I heard/read a retort from Greg Luzinski saying to  the effect “oh
yeah, tell Radar his old man is ugly”.

Am I  hallucinating?
(...)
Lip Man 1
09-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Wow....this is a hell of a thread. Some of these memories are very touching.
Pinch: The “Winnin’ Ugly” remark was uttered by Rader before the four game
series in Texas. That series started on August 19. The Sox took 3 of 4 and
left  Dallas with an eight game lead over the Rangers.

30 August 1983, Chicago  Daily Herald, section 4, pg. 1, col. 1:
Less than two weeks ago, it  was Rangers manager Doug Rader who started the
whole tempest by saying the  first-place White Sox were"winning ugly.” Before
long, T-shirts were cropping up  in Chicago with “Winning ugly is no miracle on
35th Street” emblazoned on them.  The idea became a rallying point for local
fans and a bit of a sore point in  Texas.

4 September 1983, Chicago Daily Herald, “Sox Win ‘Ugly’  Again,” section 3,
pg. 1, col. 1:
If Doug Rader watched the nationally  televised White Sox-Red Sox game
Saturday afternoon, he must have felt  vindicated.