foo

Karl Hagen karl at POLYSYLLABIC.COM
Mon Jan 8 19:33:23 UTC 2007

I think (if my memory servers) that it was at popularized by Kerninghan
and Ritchie in their classic book _The C Programming Language_ (1978). I
can't seem to find my copy now, but Google Books shows other instances
of foo & bar as dummy variables cropping up in the early 80's, which is
about right if K&R were the originators.

Based on the document here: http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html,
which appears to be an early tutorial on a pre K&R version of C (1974),
Kerninghan was using at least "foo" as a dummy variable as early as that.