"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" (J. Frank Dobie?)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Jan 9 18:11:09 UTC 2007

Barry wrote:
>Did anyone coin "(Never/Don't) let the (facts/truth) get in the way of a
>good story"? (Search for "way of a good story.")
>It's been credited to Texas folklorist J. Frank Dobie (one quote in YBQ),
>but I don't know if anyone in particular can take credit.
Farley Mowat replied to a critical letter from Adolph Murie (an authority
on wolves) concerning claims made in his /Never Cry Wolf/ with something
very like  "Never let the facts...."
AM