"fur bikini"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 9 18:23:05 UTC 2007

At 12:42 PM -0500 1/9/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>I wasn't sure whether Fred meant by "two areas" top-and-bottom or
>front-and-back.  "Bikini panties" certainly don't cover anything at
>the top, and they may or may not offer any significant amount of
>dorsal coverage.
>
>"Furkini"?  "Merkini"?
>
>--Charlie

I like "merkini", although it's a bit opaque.

The difference for me between "bikini panties" and "fur bikini" is
that the former (given the semantics of compounding) are a kind of
panties, viz. the kind that looks like what you have with a bikini,
while the latter is a kind of bikini, which comes in two parts, top
and bottom.  A woman whose bikini top is washed away in the ocean is
now wearing a bikini top, not a bikini, and after all we do have the
evidence from the reanalysis and coinage of "monokini", even though
there's no "bi-" prefix historically in "bikini".

LH