national handwriting day

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Jan 12 17:47:45 UTC 2007

I teach high school German (and sometimes English and Latin).  I am very
skeptical of the 'standardised testing' (ST)explanation.  I just don't
see it.  Even with the ST, there is still plenty of room to teach and
require cursive or have kids learn to tell time.
Although nothing surprises me anymore, please don't tell me what else
people (notice I didn't say 'kids' or 'students') don't know--my world
is falling apart and I can handle only so much on one day :)
Seriously, Jan, where are you?  Some of us teachers had thought for a
while that the cursive thing might be only a Salem-Keizer phenomenon,
but it appears not to be.  It seems to be generational.
Fritz
>>> write at SCN.ORG 1/12/2007 9:34 AM >>>
Fritz, do you teach in K-12?  I teach 8th grade, and I also have
students
who cannot read cursive and students who cannot tell time on a
traditional
clock.  I also have students who don't know the months of the year in
order.  They would not know, for example, that March is the third
month.
A staff member suggested that the emphasis on standardized testing has
pushed elementary schools to teach only what will be on the test.

Maybe, but I learned how to tell time and the months before I started
school.
Jan