national handwriting day

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Jan 12 22:34:20 UTC 2007

I didn't take it as a personal attack.  No offense taken at all.  My
statement "I really wonder..."  was not meant to be sarcastic--it is
genuine curiosity. I also wonder how deaf people learn to read and write
English.  It seems a total mystery to me. If a kid can't read an analog
clock and there are no digitals around and she's lost track of time
during lunch, how does she find out what time it is or how much time she
has before 3rd period?  Does she have have time to go potty before
class? Does she simply ask person after person until someone can tell
her how much time she has?  Does she just hit the restroom and hope
she's not tardy?  I am most curious  how these kids solve that problem.
Fritz

>>> borowitz at STANFORD.EDU 1/12/2007 12:17 PM >>>
Sorry if that sounded too much like a personal attack.
The following quote can be interpreted in several ways, I suppose, but
sounded a bit critical to me:
"I really wonder what these kids think about and how they deal with
the
world around them.  I guess they just ignore a lot of things."
I guess I mistook real curiosity on your part for sarcasm--such are
the
perils of email. It seems likely at this point that I'm being overly
defensive of my generation and lashing out mostly at people who make
far
more sweeping and critical statements than you did. (For what it's
worth,
I'm a college student who can read an analog clock, tie my shoes, and
write
in cursive. My only problem with cursive is that I take Russian, so
sometimes my cursive comes out in Cyrillic even when I don't mean it to
:)