online accent quiz

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 13 22:12:38 UTC 2007

I'm from the georgraphical heart of Georgia (Macon), and my test result is INLAND NORTH. Could it be that from 1973 to 1987 (from age 21-35), I lived in D.C. and San Francisco?  My partner was born in Hyde Park, NY. He lived in the South for over thirty years, and the "test" indicates that his accent is the same as mine.
  I agree with LH.

  brenda
  rhinebeck, ny

Sally Donlon <sod at LOUISIANA.EDU> wrote:
  Well, the test indicated that my accent is "as Philadelphian as
cheesesteak!"

Pretty cool, except for the fact that I'm born and bred in Cajun
Country!

sally o donlon

On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> At 10:20 PM -0500 11/29/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> I tried it. My result: The South. No surprise, that.
>>
>> -Wilson
>
> And I'm from "the northeast", ditto. But Roger Shuy is not amused.
> He comments on the forensic linguistics list:
>
> "...I took it and it placed me as being from "the West,"
> whatever that means (I am from northeastern Ohio). Linguistic
> geography is
> much more complex and detailed than this rather simple test
> indicates. When
> I did fieldwork for the Linguistic Atlas the interviews took over
> four
> hours for each informant. I'm amazed at how anyone could take ten
> items and
> try to say it is in any way diagnostic."
>
> LH
>

>> On 11/29/06, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Laurence Horn
>>> Subject: online accent quiz
>>> -----------
>>>
>>> for those of you who can't remember where you're from but do
>>> remember
>>> how you pronounce your vowels...
>>> http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have
>>>
>>> LH

>> --
>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
>> complaint to
>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> -----
>> -Sam Clemens

 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.