"fairy," OED 4a

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 17 17:49:52 UTC 2007

But by saying he is "of faerie," couldn't that also mean he was of the
faerie people or of the faerie, using faerie as a race or type of creature
and not a place name? I haven't read the original, I just found that to be
one possible reading based on this very small quote.
Scot

>From: Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: "fairy," OED 4a
>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:27:37 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: "fairy," OED 4a
>
>Tolkien quoted correctly the text as given in Gower's _Complete Works_, ed.
>G. C. Macaulay (Oxford: Clarendon, 1899-1902), 3:146. It reads "of"--not
>"a."
>
>--Charlie

Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place!  MSN Shopping
Sales & Deals
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639