"non-apology," 1971; "non-apology apology," 1991

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 19 21:02:02 UTC 2007

In her recent book _The Language War_ (2002), Robin Lakoff uses the
term "unapology", without the scare quotes, for the same phenomenon;
not an antedate of the concept, obviously, but an interesting
mutation.

She describes the phenomenon in question as the now fashionable
practice of "high public officials in this and other countries to
make public 'apologies', almost always for behavior occurring prior
to their term of office, usually before they (or those to whom the
apology is made) were born." (pp. 29-30).  Examples include George
H.W. Bush's apology to Japanese-Americans for the internment camps,
Clinton's to African-Americans for the Tuskegee syphilis experiments,
Japan's to Korea for its use of Korean "comfort women" during WWII,
the Pope's expression of "regret" for the Church's inaction during
the Holocaust, Britain's apology to Ireland for the potato famine,
Australia's to the aborigines for past mistreatment, Switzerland's to
Jews for appropriating Jewish holdings during the Holocaust, etc.
etc.  Lakoff notes that "the patent insincerity, smarminess, and
inappropriateness of such apologies make them irresistible targets
for ridicule." (p. 31)

Note that she employs "un-apology", "'apologies'" [*with* scare
quotes], and "apologies" [without the scare quotes in a context that
makes the reference clear] to refer to the same phenomenon.

LH