A new Child ballad

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 23 15:26:21 UTC 2007

At 6:01 AM -0800 1/23/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Fred, my impression is that there are no more than one or two cases
>among the 305 ballads that Child incuded in his second and
>definitive collection in which he suppressed a line or a stanza.  In
>his notes to the comic "The Keach in the Creel," he complains of a
>passage, which he pointedly declines to specify, as being "brutal
>and shameless almost beyond example." Since then, scholars have been
>unable to identify with certainty what passage he meant. It may be
>the one where the mother dsays, "There's a man in our daughter's
>bed!" The father then goes directly into the daughter's room to
>look. The girl explains the noise by claiming she's been praying
>over the family bible.
>
>   So Child does seem to have been disturbed by "R" rated situations.
>Legman asserts that Child suppressed a manuscript stanza in "Trooper
>and Maid," but I don't know if this is true. Be that as it may, the
>phrase "a kick in the arse" appears in "Robin Hood and the Bishop of
>Hereford," and "Sheath and Knife" involves brother-sister incest.

It's not the only one.  There's a folk show here on WNHU-FM which has
been systematically working through the Child ballads, both those
that have been recorded and those that haven't been, and several that
have been played or (in lieu of that possibility) recited involve
brother-sister incest, often but not always constituting rape.
Sorry, I can't remember the names or numbers.

LH