Most Notable Quotes of 2006

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 25 00:21:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Mark A. Mandel wrote:

> I count 10 quotes in that list, but one of them is an additional Bushism
> from Global Language Monitor. So, Fred, which of yours did Reuters leave
> out?

I actually gave the Reuters reporter a list of 14 quotations, which he
then reduced to a top 10, putting them into a definite order whereas my
list was unordered, but he left out #10.  So I think I am free to now name
#10 as an ADS-L exclusive.  But I can't decide right now among the five
worthy contenders.  Here they are (I welcome input on which I should
choose):

Yesterday, the devil came here, right here, right here, and it smells of
sulfur still today. The president of the United States, the gentleman to
whom I refer as the devil, came here talking as if he owned the world,
truly as the owner of the world.
         Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela, Address to United Nations,
         Sept. 20, 2006

The situation in Iraq is grave and deteriorating.
         Iraq Study Group Report (2006)

I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!
         Samuel L. Jackson, playing Nelville Flynn, Snakes on a Plane
         (motion picture) (2006)

Education, if you make the most of it, and you study hard, and you do
your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you
don't, you get stuck in Iraq.
         John Kerry, Remarks at Pasadena City College, Pasadena, Cal., Oct.
        30, 2006

This is Michael J. Fox. He`s got Parkinson`s disease. And in this
commercial, he is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He is moving
all around and shaking, and it`s purely an act.
         Rush Limbaugh, "Rush Limbaugh Show" radio show, Oct. 23, 2006

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986