FW: eighty-six or 86; short-order cookery language

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jul 1 20:28:54 UTC 2007

The ESB explanation is in "An Uplifting Origin of 86," in the Winter 2001,
Vol. 76, No. 4 issue. The article is by the late folklorist Alan Dundes.

I remember upon reading this when I received the issue back in 2001 of being
surprised with the conclusion of the article which indicates the ESB
explanation is perhaps the correct one.

The article's only substantiating evidence for the explanation is the
recollection of a single person, now living in Los Angeles, who "had always
heard" (Dundes' words) that the phrase came from the fact that all elevator
passengers had to exit on the 86th floor before taking a different elevator
to the higher floors. At most the article should have concluded that this
explanation was another possibility that deserved investigation.

The "had always heard" is a dead giveaway for an urban legend. I'm really
surprised this one got by Dundes, who as a folklorist should have known
better. Perhaps Dundes fell victim to the occupational hazard of confusing
the folklore with the underlying fact.