Google Book search-1961-"a sheet nine yards long"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 2 14:10:06 UTC 2007

The "snippet" quoted is Frank's paraphrase, of course. Here is what the document says:

"There was a Bill exhibited this last Sessions against a Counsellor for corruption, which was nine yards in length, and a foot in bredth."

>From the _Weekly Intelligencer of the Common-Wealth_, no. 206, for 12-28 Feb. 1653 (i.e. 1654), page 178.

Not so interesting as a precursor of the modern saying . . . .

--Charlie