Heard on a "Scrubs" rerun:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 3 02:57:25 UTC 2007

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that the phrase had originated on
"Scrubs," Benjamin.  Until you straightened me out, I had been
laboring under the misprehapprehension that "Kiss my grits!" was
simply one of those phrases that comes out of nowhere, but, somehow,
everyone is familiar with it, like "Kiss my wrist!"

-Wilson

On 7/2/07, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Heard on a "Scrubs" rerun:
>
> I first heard this on "Alice", and this page confirms that's where it
> comes from:
> http://www.geocities.com/classics4ever/alice/cast/holliday/polly.htm. BB
>
> Wilson Gray wrote:
> > "Kiss my grits [grIs]!"
> >
> > When I was a young'un in Saint Louis, we said:
> >
> > "Kiss my wrist [rIs]!"
> >
> > -Wilson

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens