Red hot dogs (red dogs/red franks/red snappers) from Maine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 4 01:35:39 UTC 2007

"Red hot dogs" (also called "red dogs" or "red franks" or "red snappers")
don't appear in the OED, Dictionary of American Regional English, or Historical
Dictionary of American Slang. A query reached me today, through the National
Hot  Dog & Sausage Council. I'm following the July 4th sales and shopping for
furniture for my new house, but I've assembled the following. Further
citations  are appreciated.
The "red hot dog" appears to be a product of Schonland's (later Schonlands)
of Portland, Maine in the 1920s. Jordan's Meats (also Jordans) came out with
their "red frank" version that is still known today. The story seems pretty
well  explained on page 8 of JORDAN'S MEATS (1993) available in Google Books
(below),  but I could see only a few lines of the page in my Google Books search.
--Barry Popik
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations)
_Maine_ (http://216.239.51.104/wiki/Maine) , _United  States_
(http://216.239.51.104/wiki/United_States)
The most popular variety of hot dog in Maine is one made with _natural
casing_ (http://216.239.51.104/wiki/Casing_(sausage)) . The  casing is colored red,
and are commonly referred to as red dogs. There is also  a small chain of
restaurants known as "Flo's Hotdogs" in southern Maine along Route 1. Their
specialty is a steamed hot dog served with mayonnaise, a homemade sweet onion
relish, and celery salt.
_http://www.mainelobstershop.com/redhotdogs.html_
(http://www.mainelobstershop.com/redhotdogs.html)

Jordans Red Hot Dogs
At a recent National Food Show held in Chicago,  people were lined up waiting
for a unique product that Mainers have loved for  years - Jordan's Red Hot
Dogs. Whether you are from Maine and remember how good  they are or you would
just like to try a unique product, give these Jordan's Red  Hot Dogs a try!!

NOTE: Jordan's Red Hot Dogs are not spicy hot, they do  carry a spicy red
sausage if you prefer a hot flavor!
(GOOGLE BOOKS)
_Jordan's Meats: A Thriving Business in Its Third  Generation--built
Primarily on "hot Dogs" - Page 8_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=C00aAAAAIAAJ&q=schonland+"hot+dogs"&dq=schonland+"hot+dogs"&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Newcomen Society of the United States, Joseph "Chet." Jordan - 1993  - 24
pages
This is why the "red franks" today are still popular  in those areas. They
colored their hot dogs red to differentiate their  product from the competition.
Pa worked at Schonland Brothers, where  he learned much and planned for ...
_Jordan's Meats: A Thriving Business in Its Third  Generation--built
Primarily on "hot Dogs" - Page  13_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=C00aAAAAIAAJ&q="red+hot+dogs"+maine&dq="red+hot+dogs"+maine&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Newcomen Society of the United States, Joseph "Chet." Jordan - 1993  - 24
pages
By the way, the red hot dogs that so many  people associate with Jordan's are
only
one of our many products. As I  mentioned before II I ...
Pg.  8:
..."investigated  several cities" before deciding on Portland. Schonlands
began operations in a  leased building at 485 Fore Street, but later built their
own building on Union  Street in 1895.
Schonlands  introduced the so-called "red franks" to Maine, and
Pg.  14:
In fact, it was  Jordan's who introduced the red franks to Aroostook County
in the mid-1930s. The  ingredients of the red frank are identical to those in
our uncolored franks, but  demand for the red frank is still traditional in
many  parts...

_http://www.beansmeats.com/Hot%20Dogs,%20Natural%20Casing,%20Red,%20Bean's,%20
Rice's.htm_
(http://www.beansmeats.com/Hot%20Dogs,%20Natural%20Casing,%20Red,%20Bean's,%20Rice's.htm)

_BEAN'S HOT DOGS_
(http://www.beansmeats.com/Hot%20Dogs,%20Natural%20Casing,%20Red,%20Bean's,%20Rice's.htm#Beans Hot Dogs)
_RICE'S HOT DOGS_
(http://www.beansmeats.com/Hot%20Dogs,%20Natural%20Casing,%20Red,%20Bean's,%20Rice's.htm#Rice Hot Dogs)   Natural Casing Hot  Dogs
Traditional "Red Snappers"
Juicy & Delicious
Available in Red or No Color Original Rice's  Family Recipe
Same Snappy Natural Casings as Bean's  Franks
Available in Red, Pink or No  Color
_http://www.sunjournal.com/index.php?t=12&blogid=55999&bloggerid=6_
(http://www.sunjournal.com/index.php?t=12&blogid=55999&bloggerid=6)
May 26, 2007 5:00 AM
Dear Sun Spots: To my surprise on my last trip to Georgia, I  stopped in
North Carolina and noticed that the grocery stores were selling red  hot dogs. I
thought Maine was the only state with red hot dogs. My question is,  how many
states carry red hot dogs? Thank you. - C.F.,  Lewiston.

Answer: In addition to responses from readers,  previous columns have noted
that both Jordans Meat in Portland and BAW Beans in  Bangor produce red hot
dogs. Typically, as you note, a New England or Maine  tradition, red hot dogs are
also available in the Virginia area. Jordans  produces an average of
65,000-70,000 pounds a day of either hot dogs or  sausage-type products like Kielbasa
or Polish sausage.
_http://www.hollyeats.com/Simones.htm_ (http://www.hollyeats.com/Simones.htm)

The folks in Lewston Maine don't have to worry about getting their  minimum
daily requirement of Red Dye #10.  A couple of Simone's Dogs does  the trick
and has been doing the trick for Lewiston for the past 98  years.
What's extra-neat about the bright, neon red dogs is that the red  coloring
runs into the yellow mustard, giving it a blood streaked  appearance.  Yummy.
The dogs are steamed and served on a microwaved bun.  The  works means
healthy schmears of mustard, onion and relish on the bun, under the  dog.
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_FRANK TALK ABOUT HUMBLE AMERICAN ICON_
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/ME/lib00080,0EE2A59E0A9E701E.html)
$2.00 - Portland Press Herald - NewsBank - Aug 22, 2001     Local legend
concerning the only-in-Maine  Jordan Meats "red" hot dogs started as A marketing
gimmick in the 1920s. the steamed-on USDA-approved red dye was  ...

(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)

_Portland Press Herald : Jordan's to close, terminate 285  jobs -..._
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/ME/lib00080,1077A6231362FBCD.html)
$2.00 -  Portland Press Herald - NewsBank - Dec 4,  2004     The famous red
hot dogs are no  longer made by Jordan's; they're produced by WA ... 1936:
Jordan's acquires Schonland Brothers. 1949: Joseph Jordan  dies, ...

_Tyson Foods to close 2 Portland, Maine-area  facilities._
(http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-125848103.html?refid=gg_x_02)
Subscription  - Portland Press Herald - HighBeam Research -  Dec 4, 2004
the famous red hot dogs are no  longer made by Jordan's; they're produced by
WA ... "when  Chet Jordan owned it, he was for the employees 100 percent,"
said ...
_http://www.kayem.com/brands/schon/default.asp?sub_category=198_
(http://www.kayem.com/brands/schon/default.asp?sub_category=198)
Since 1883, Schonland's Franks and Sausages have graced  the grills and
tables of Northern New Englanders. A tradition of quality and  attention to detail
in providing the best tasting franks and sausage has been  the hallmark of
Schonland's and the reason for its sucess. Since 1987, Kayem  Foods has been
behind the Schonland's brand, working hard to ensure that New  Englanders receive
the same remarkably great taste that Schonland's has become  known for. So
enjoy our Kayem Natural Casing Franks with the Schonland's recipe,  and please be
sure to try our other great tasting Kayem products found in your  grocer's
meat or deli case.

_http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sullyBlog/?p=140_
(http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sullyBlog/?p=140)
March 26th, 2007
_The Maine meal, ayuh!_ (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sullyBlog/?p=140)
Posted by Mike Sullivan at 9:51 pm
They love their hot dogs in Maine, hot dang!
And not just any hot dogs. They like them red-skinned hot dogs, ayuh. Them
red dogs, as they’re known, are as Maine as Mt. Katahdin, lobsters and Perry’s
 Nut House, which is a wicked good blog on its own – but that’ll have to
wait for  tourist season.
Yessir! Them Main-ahs love their hot dogs.
_http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/051101.shtml_
(http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/051101.shtml)
By Colleen Stone
MaineToday.com
There's a reason I hadn't eaten a red hot dog before. Actually, two:
1. Before moving to Maine, I hadn't encountered them.
2. They're red. Nuclear red. Glow in the dark red. Is-that-OK-to-eat red. But
 apparently Mainers love them. That and Maine Italians, bean suppers, whoopie
 pies and needhams (that's potato candy), among other things. It was time to
find  out what all the fuss is about. But I had to start slowly. My body can
only take  so much. Heeding the call of red hot dogs and whoopie pies, I went
to Lewiston,  home to both a hot dog joint and a whoopie pie bakery.
If there were such a religion as the Church of Hot Dog, _Simones World Famous
Hot Dogs_ ()  on Chestnut Street might be the  headquarters. Customers have
worshipped at the yellow laminate altar for 87  years. At 11:30 on a Tuesday,
the small place was already packed with people of  all stripes; men with rough
hands and names on their shirts, elderly couples,  doctors, you name it.
Though the menu includes more than hot dogs, a quick scan  of tables revealed the
glow of red dogs at most.
Owner _Jim Simones_ () , a sweet bear of a guy who bears a slight resemblance
to  Emeril Lagasse, took a stool next to me as soon as I sat down and
_explained the red hot dog phenomenon_ () : Red hot dogs, called "red  snappers," get
their red color from a natural food coloring. He couldn't say  what the
natural coloring was, but it made me feel better about the hue. And why  are they
called red snappers? Because the casing has a firmness to it that makes  the
dog snap when you bite it. They're not to be confused with "red hots," a  spicy
sausage.
Amy Turcotte, a quick-witted waitress who works alongside her sister,
Rochelle Williams (the family theme extends beyond the owners), can pick out
someone from away by their reaction to the dogs. "They'll see it and say, 'What  is
that?' That's when you say, 'Where are you from?'"
My stomach churned from hunger, but there was more research to do before I
ordered. Specifically, how to order. I polled people on how they ordered
theirs. _Bob and Claudette Guerette_ ()  from Lewiston took theirs with onions,
relish and mustard: That's loaded, in Simones speak. ("They have a crunch to
them!" Bob said while explaining why he goes with reds.) _Leif Castonguay_ ()
went with cheese and chili. _Paul Bissonette and his sons_ () , Jacob and Joe,
and their companion,  Mike Spear, went with loaded. The consensus: While
loaded is the "traditional"  order, you won't be run out of town for doing
something different.
Which is a good thing, since I have a ketchup problem.
So I ordered: One steamed hot dog and bun, loaded with ketchup. The  closest
I've come to the experience of ordering a cheesesteak in Philly. Jim  Simones
took the order, _verbally walking through the steps_ ()  and presented the
glowing dog on  a paper napkin, along with a small carton of onion rings, which
Claudette had  strongly recommended.
I was about to pick up the dog when Joe stopped me and presented a jar of
_celery salt_ ()  with a flourish. "We always put celery salt on the dogs.  It
gives it that little extra flavor." I had gone non-traditional with the
ketchup, so I shook some celery salt on for good measure. (He also said that
chocolate milk was the traditional beverage accompaniment, and though a  smattering
of chocolate milk containers seemed to corroborate his claim, I was  only
willing to subject myself to so much adventure.)
I hoisted the dog and took a bite. As promised, it snapped. The combo I'd
come up with was tasty, but I made a note to go sans-ketchup next time. And
there'd definitely be a next time.
_http://travel.mainetoday.com/westbye/011341.html_
(http://travel.mainetoday.com/westbye/011341.html)
April 29, 2007

Hot Diggity!
I am aware that Colleen Stone already wrote about _red hot dogs_
(http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/051101.shtml) .  However, she went out for hers,
and I grew up eating mine at home. This column  is, to a large extent, about
(re)visiting Maine institutions with tourist eyes.  And it’s about going home.
Yes, I grew up on them. The Maine Red: that curious and bright red form of
hot dog indigenous to the Pine Tree State and found, as far as I know, nowhere
else. As a lad growing up in Brunswick in the ‘70s and early ‘80s, it was
Jordan’s Maine red dogs, steamed, on Wonder bread with French’s mustard and
served with a side of tots. Jordan’s apparently now only sells ten-pound
packages, and I wasn’t about to go there.
(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark SCHONLANDS

Goods and Services IC 029. US 046. G & S: EMULSIFIED MEAT PRODUCTS NAMELY
SAUSAGE,  LIVERWURST, HAM, KNOCKWURST, BEEF, FRANKS, LOAVES, BOLOGNA, SALAMI,
KIELBASA, MORTADELLA AND PORK SHOULDER. FIRST USE: 18830000. FIRST USE IN
COMMERCE: 18830000  Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR
NUMBERS  Design Search Code 02.01.01 - Busts of men facing forward; Heads of men
facing forward;  Men - heads, portraiture, or busts facing forward; Portraiture
of men  facing forward
02.01.30 - Business suits (men wearing); Men wearing two  or three piece
business suits
26.03.28 - Miscellaneous designs with  overall oval shape, including
amoeba-like shapes and irregular ovals; Oval  shape (miscellaneous overall shape)
Serial Number 73523429  Filing Date February 22, 1985  Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A  Published for Opposition January 7, 1986
Registration Number 1388440  Registration Date April 1, 1986  Owner (REGISTRANT)
CATELLI-HABITANT, INC. CORPORATION NEW HAMPSHIRE 286  COMMERCIAL STREET MANCHESTER NEW
HAMPSHIRE 03101
(LAST LISTED OWNER) KAYEM FOODS, INC. CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF  MASSACHUSETTS
75 ARLINGTON STREET CHELSEA MASSACHUSETTS 02150  Assignment Recorded
ASSIGNMENT RECORDED  Attorney of Record MATTHEW E CONNORS  Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL  Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR)
20060630.  Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20060630  Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark SCHONLAND'S  Goods and Services IC 029. US 046. G & S: EMULSIFIED
MEAT PRODUCTS NAMELY, SAUSAGE,  LIVERWURST, HAM, KNOCKWURST, BEEF, FRANKS,
LOAVES, BOLOGNA, SALAMI,  KIELBASA, MORTADELLA AND PORK SHOULDER. FIRST USE:
18830000. FIRST USE IN  COMMERCE: 18830000  Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Design Search Code   Serial Number 73523441  Filing Date February 22, 1985
Current Filing Basis 1A  Original Filing Basis 1A  Published for Opposition July
2, 1985  Registration Number 1359454  Registration Date September 10, 1985
Owner (REGISTRANT) CATELLI-HABITANT, INC. DBA W. F. SCHONLAND SONS DBA W. F.
SCHONLAND SONS INC. CORPORATION NEW HAMPSHIRE 286 COMMERCIAL STREET  MANCHESTER
NEW HAMPSHIRE 03101
(LAST LISTED OWNER) KAYEM FOODS, INC. DBA CATELLI FOODS CORPORATION  ASSIGNEE
OF MASSACHUSETTS 75 ARLINGTON STREET CHELSEA MASSACHUSETTS  02150  Assignment
Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED  Attorney of Record MATTHEW E. CONNORS,  Type of
Mark TRADEMARK  Register PRINCIPAL  Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
SECTION 8(10-YR) 20051026.  Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20051026  Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE