"Don't shit where you eat"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Jul 4 03:11:27 UTC 2007

>Sorry for the crude title.
>
>Has anyone searched to find out what the earliest version of this must
>have been?  I would doubt that it was that phrasing.
>
>Anyone suggest what the original sentiment might have been?
>
>Sam Clements
I remember reading about the Essenes or some similar group --  associated
with the Dead Sea Scrolls, perhaps? -- that had strictures concerning the
roles of the two hands: the one that went into the communal pot at mealtime
would never be the one that wiped one's bottom.   Whether the left was the
"clean" and the right the "unclean" I don't remember, but I believe the
roles were immutable.
AM