A Grade Apart

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Jul 4 17:16:04 UTC 2007

I just spotted the following in The Daily Star (07/03/07),
Oneonta, NY. (Please note emphasized phrase __xx__  in
final paragraph):
Signs against wind gone

By Patricia Breakey

Delhi News Bureau

Signs stating, "Yes to green energy. No to industrial wind in Meredith,"
have been disappearing from the homes of Alliance for Meredith members,
residents said Monday.
Sue Bailey, Alliance spokeswoman, said the signs began to vanish June 23
when one was taken on Turnpike Road at about 11:30 p.m. The residents "heard
this low muffler sound that sounded like someone turning around in the
driveway and then speeding off," she said.
The next night, she said, a white sedan with a loud muffler and at least two
passengers __graded a sign__ on Dickman Road at 8:15 p.m.
-------
It would appear the writer meant the sign was 'leveled', or knocked down,
but I can find no reference to such a use of the word 'grade'.
If this usage DOES have a history, will you please grade me on a curve as
it's a holiday?
(the other) doug