A Grade Apart

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 4 19:08:07 UTC 2007

>Why have the "grade on _the_ curve" and the "hit _the_ wall" of my
>lost youth become "grade on _a_ curve" and " hit _a_ wall"?
>
>-Wilson

I'm not sure the latter fact is a fact, and the various web resources
at hand bear that out--it's more like 50-50 for "hit {the/a} wall".
The former has definitely become "grade on a curve"; maybe it's used
too infrequently for the "the", or maybe there are many possible and
distinct curves on which one may grade, while it doesn't really
matter which wall one hits.

LH