Bogie's "hot dog" quote; More on the "red snapper" hot dog from Maine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 4 23:03:24 UTC 2007

66 hot dogs in 12 minutes. My God!
BOGIE'S "HOT DOG" QUOTE
..
STEAK AT THE RITZ--3,050 Google hits
ROAST BEEF AT THE RITZ--2,320 Google hits
The Yale Book of Quotations has nothing at all from Humphrey Bogart?
Bogart is quoted again today as saying: "A hot dog at the ballpark is  better
than steak at the Ritz." Another version is: "A hot dog at the ballpark  is
better than roast beef at the Ritz." Surely, this goes further back than  1986,
but where are the cites?
Bogart's famous baseball quotation is this:
_http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/CLASSICS/baseball.html_
(http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/CLASSICS/baseball.html)
"That's baseball, and it's my game. Y' know, you take your  worries to the
game, and you leave 'em there. You yell like crazy for your guys.  It's good for
your lungs, gives you a lift, and nobody calls the cops. Pretty girls, lots
of 'em.  And a hot dog at the game beats roast beef at the Ritz."
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_"FOREVER BASEBALL' WILL KEEP TRUE FANS WARM THIS  WINTER_
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/SB/lib00167,0EB0D9160D907041.html)
$2.95 - Sacramento Bee  - NewsBank - Nov 7, 1989
_http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/lifestyle.aspx?articleid=151697&zoneid=14_
(http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/lifestyle.aspx?articleid=151697&zoneid=14)
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_BASEBALL REVIVES BOGART, FRAWLEY PITCHES_
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/WE/lib00041,0EADB2E9D1C56C98.html)
$2.95 - Wichita Eagle - NewsBank - Oct 16, 1986     Shots of fans at the game
punctuate Bogart's  observations: "You yell like crazy for your guys - good
for your  lungs" and "a hot dog at the game beats roast ...
MORE ON THE "RED SNAPPER" HOT DOG FROM MAINE
An article on the "red snapper" appeared today. The article mentions the W.
A. Bean & Sons company, but the article (wisely) doesn't state that this
company originated the red hot dog.
_http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/lifestyle.aspx?articleid=151697&zoneid=14_
(http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/lifestyle.aspx?articleid=151697&zoneid=14)

The dog days of summer
By _Kristen  Andresen_ (mailto:kandresen at bangordailynews.net)
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - Bangor Daily  News

What could be a  more fitting Fourth of July meal than a hot dog, especially
in Maine? Here, the  hot dogs are red, the rolls are white and you're blue -
when they're all  gone, that is.
Revered by  locals, sought out by tourists, the "red snapper" is as much a
part of summer in  Maine as lobster rolls and blueberry pie. According to
Elizabeth Bean Trommer of  W.A. Bean and Sons in Bangor, it’s the natural casing
that provides the  trademark "snap" when you bite into a red hot dog.
"The red color  has nothing to do with the taste," Trommer explained. "People
don’t believe  that. They swear up and down that they taste different, but
they don’t. At  least, they shouldn’t."
But try telling  that to the die-hard hot dog fans, who insist that redder is
better.
"I don’t know — I  just like them better. That’s all," replied John
Moholland of Chester, a regular  at Doe’s Dogs in East Millinocket, when asked why he
preferred red hot dogs to  brown. He stops at the hot dog stand every time he
and Jeanie Smart drive their  18-wheeler through town.
People like  Moholland and Smart are the reason why W.A. Bean & Sons sold
349,219 pounds  of hot dogs last year, most of them red. To achieve the color,
the hot dogs are  finished in a shower of hot water infused with a combination
of red and yellow  dyes, known in the industry as "red casing shade."
Not to be  confused with a "red hot," which is a sausage in hot dog’s
clothing, the red  snapper is all frank, all the time. And its history is as colorful
as its  skin.
According to Allan Ross,  an expert in natural casings whose family has been
in the meat business for  generations, the use of red dye was born of
necessity. The reddish-brown shade  of a hot dog is a natural byproduct of the smoking
process. But decades ago, it  was difficult to produce uniform-looking
sausages and hot dogs, so manufacturers  decided to take matters into their own
hands.
"They did it for eye  appeal in the marketplace," Ross said by phone from
Michigan, where he runs  Little Silver Corp., a natural casing supplier. "The
smokehouses weren’t so  sophisticated and it was difficult to dispense and
distribute the smoke evenly  to give it the color."
W.A. Bean & Sons  started making hot dogs in 1918, when the company moved to
a long-since-leveled  plant behind the Freese’s Building. Back then, all of
the other meat companies  in town — and there were a bunch of them — were
making red hot dogs.
Today, W.A. Bean &  Sons is the only hot dog manufacturer in the state, and
red snappers make up the  majority of its business. In addition to marketing
its own product, the company  also manufactures Rice’s brand franks, which look
similar but are made with a  different recipe.
"Way back, there were  Wilson’s, Armour and Swift — all of the big names
made all of their products  regionally," David Bean said. "All of the other
companies, they got bigger.  They’re all gone and we’re still here and we’re the
only ones making hot  dogs."
Nationwide, Bean’s plant  is one of only a handful making red hot dogs.
Contrary to popular belief, the  red hot dog can be found in other parts of the
country, including Nebraska and  western Iowa, but, "It’s a shrinking segment,"
Ross said.
The  red snapper is far from the only hot dog to list dye among its
ingredients.  However, the use of natural casing makes it more labor-intensive and more
 expensive to produce. Today, the majority of hot dogs on the market are made
 with a cellulose casing, which is removed after the hot dogs are cooked —
hence  the lack of snap.
And  while snap is essential, everyone agrees that the flaming red casing is
what  really sets the beloved hot dog apart.
"It’s funny. Maine people  get it, but we’ve had a few people from out of
state run up to the window and  say, ‘Something’s wrong with my hot dog,’"
Whitney Strout, a manager at Dana’s  Grill at Dockside in Hampden, said. "We have
to explain to them — it’s a Maine  thing."