grade on the curve

Laurence Urdang urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Jul 5 14:01:23 UTC 2007

It isn't clear from the correspondence that the correspondents know the meaning of grade on the curve.   I don't mean to insult anybody, of course, but I wonder why there should be a difference between on a curve and on the curve.
  L. Urdang
  Old Lyme

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jonathan Lighter
Subject: Re: A Grade Apart

In my experience, few high-school pupils and college underclassmen know exactly what "grade on _the_ curve" means. They think it means "give everybody a higher grade." (In fact, this misapprehension is so frequent that it is probably the most common meaning of the phrase.)

"_A_ curve" follows since the assumption is that you're just boosting grades in some arbitrary way and not according to some specific statistical "curve."

That's my theory.

As for "hitting _a_ wall," that just gives you more walls to choose from.

JL