etymological = "semantic"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 5 20:43:43 UTC 2007

My literature students often record their perception that I seldom talk about anything but etymology. I'm almost certain that for many of them, "etymology" stands as a sort of metonymy or synecdoche for philology, close reading, linguistics in all its aspects. Might that sense of the term have become somewhat general in the speech and writing of the non-young?

--Charlie