grade on the curve

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Jul 6 01:47:01 UTC 2007

>   I don't mean to insult anybody, of course, but I've always felt
>that it's an idiotic practice. A any freshman logician should know,
>bell curves typically result from large numbers of instances, not
>necessarily from twenty or thirty test grades.

Indeed, I remember hearing of one instance where two students had
tied for the highest mark, and the professor arbitrarily put one down
a letter grade because there wasn't room for two in the highest grade
level in the curve.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. How does someone with
such a shallow intellect get a PhD, anyway?

James Harbeck.