"rave" in Variety or earlier?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jul 6 16:43:58 UTC 2007

I know there are some _Variety_ fans here, so I thought I'd
ask if anyone can find an example of _rave_ 'enthusiastic
review' in that periodical (or, for that matter, any other)
before 1926.  OED's earliest example is from the _American
Mercury_ in December 1926, referring to _rave_ as a _Variety_
coinage, but an earlier effort was unable to find an example
in _Variety_ itself.

Has anyone done any work on this? I thought we might have
discussed it at some point but there's nothing I can see in
the archives.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED