Heard on Judge Joe Brown:

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 12 14:23:51 UTC 2007

My favorite example of multiple negation for emphasis is Chaucer's Parson's paraphrase of Job 10:22: ". . . in helle is noon ordre of rule. And al be it so that God hath creat alle thynges in right ordre, and no thyng withouten ordre, but alle thynges been ordeyned and nombred; yet, natheless, they that been dampned been nothying in ordre, ne holden noon ordre." Of course, the "point" here is the negativity of the place--the absence of God's presence (so to speak).

--Charlie