O.T.: "Official Home of the Hamburger" & "In God We Trust"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 13 03:53:35 UTC 2007

I guess this says it all about the usefulness of the Texas
Legislature...FYI: The Athens Review won't print any hamburger fact in any  letter to the
editor. I won't try again.
--Barry Popik
_http://www.athensreview.com/local/local_story_193093005.html_
(http://www.athensreview.com/local/local_story_193093005.html)
Published: July 12, 2007 09:30  am

Nichols speaks to Athens Chamberby Christina Campbell
Attendees at the monthly Athens Chamber of Commerce luncheon Wednesday,
heard 3rd District State Senator Robert Nichols speak about the past session in
the senate.

Nichols said he believes the future is good for Athens  because this is a
place people want to come to.

“And it is good to be the official home of the hamburger,”  the senator
said. “I was proud to be the Senate sponsor of the bill District 4  State
Representative Betty Brown authored in the House.”

Nichols went on to tell the group about the “conservative  swing” of bills
passed in the Senate.

He said these bills included funding property tax cuts,  toning down
franchise taxes and extending property tax cuts to the  elderly.

The Senate and the House also placed “In God We Trust” above  their
doorways, he said.

“We also added it to the Texas Constitution,” the senator  said.