Texas digitized newspapers; Jewish newspapers (Kyke-1914, Bagels & Lox-1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 13 04:45:07 UTC 2007

Yes, I obviously meant 1967 in that "whole nine yards" post, not  1927.
TEXAS DIGITIZED NEWSPAPERS
_http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/jul/11/unt-gets-grant-digitize-texas-new
spapers/_
(http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/jul/11/unt-gets-grant-digitize-texas-newspapers/)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
UNT gets grant to digitize Texas newspapers
By _Pegasus News wire_
(http://www.pegasusnews.com/contributor/staff-reports/)

DENTON — The University of North Texas _received_
(http://web2.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=10516)  a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)  grant to
digitize Texas newspapers for the National Digital Newspaper Program,
"Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers." The university is one of  eight
universities in the nation -- and the only one from Texas -- to get the
grant.
The National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP) is a long-term effort from NEH
and the Library of Congress to develop an Internet-based, searchable database
of  U.S. newspapers with select digitization of historic papers, as well as
information about newspapers from 1690 to the present. During the next 20
years,  NDNP will create a national digital resource of historically significant
newspapers published between 1836 and 1922 in all 50 states and U.S.
territories.
The UNT Libraries received a two-year, $397,552 grant from NEH, designated a
"We The People" project for promoting knowledge and understanding of American
 history and culture.
With the grant, the UNT Libraries' Digital Projects Unit will digitize
100,000 pages of newspapers published in Texas between 1880 and 1910, placing  the
files on the Library of Congress web site. At the same time, the files will
be placed on the UNT Libraries' Portal to Texas History, which provides
students  and others with a digital gateway to collections in Texas libraries,
museums,  archives, historical societies and private collections. The portal
contains  primary source materials, including maps, books, manuscripts, diaries,
photographs and letters.
JEWISH NEWSPAPERS (KYKE-1914, BAGELS & LOX-1937)
_http://www.pittchron.com/searchArchive.cfm?search=fullStory&archiveID=1307_
(http://www.pittchron.com/searchArchive.cfm?search=fullStory&archiveID=1307)
Criterion Web site
has enthusiastic  users
By Susan  Jacobs
Associate Editor

Since the  digitized archives of The Jewish Criterion were made available on
the Internet  earlier this year, many individuals with connections to Jewish
Pittsburgh have  been searching for clues about their families' pasts.
Robert Zavos may be among the archives' most frequent users. For
approximately the last five years he has been researching his family tree. His  search
used to include poring over bound volumes of the Criterion in the  archives of
Rodef Shalom Congregation.
"I would spend two hours going through bound copies for half a year" in
search of family names, he said. "Later on I could find them in half a minute
through the search engine."
The digitized archives date back to 1902, and their publication online is the
 first result of the Pittsburgh Jewish Newspaper Project, an effort to make
past  issues of the American Jewish Outlook and The Jewish Chronicle available
online  as well.
_http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/_ (http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/)
The Pittsburgh Jewish Newspaper Project is composed of The  Jewish Criterion
(1895-1962), The American Jewish Outlook (1934-1962), and The Jewish Chronicle
(1962-Present). This project  serves as both an online reference source and
as a digitized historical  documentation of the Jewish community of Pittsburgh
and its outlying areas.
9 April 1937, The Jewish Criterion, pg. 34, col. 2:
For instance, there's that story I always tell about eating  in a Jewish
restaurant. I eat in a Jewish restaurant at least three times a week  and I'll
never pass up an opportunity to have lox and bagels.
_http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/pages.cgi?layout=vol0/part0/copy0&c
all=CRI_1953_122_014_07171953&file=0018_
(http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/pages.cgi?layout=vol0/part0/copy0&call=CRI_1953_122_014_07171953&file=0018)
17 July 1953, The Jewish Criterion, "At Last--A Definition  For A 'Bagel,'",
pg. 18, cols. 2-3:
Some people spread cream cheese on bagels, others think they  are the
greatest toasted and accompanied by scrambled eggs and lox, and if you  and the
Minneapolis Public Library ever want to know what lox is, don't hesitate  to
write...D. K.
Dorothy Kilgallen
Reprinted from Pittsburgh Post Gazette July 15.
_http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/pages.cgi?layout=vol0/part0/copy0&call=CRI_1
914_038_026_07311914&file=0003_
(http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/pages.cgi?layout=vol0/part0/copy0&call=CRI_1914_038_026_07311914&file=0003)
31 July 1914, The Jewish Criterion, pg. !(?):
The term "kyke" to us is an abomination and we would welcome  the formation
of a society for its suppression. It is bad enough when it is used  by non-Jews
but infinitely worse when used by Jews in Contemptuous reference to  some of
their brethren. We have been asked on numerous occasions as to the  origin of
the term but could never secure from a reliable source satisfactory
information on the subject; and inasmuch as by constant use it has gradually  crept
into contemperaneous speech and in some instances has invaded the more or  less
exclusive precincts of the novel we have tried occasionally to discover  where
it had its origin. Now comes Dr. Deutsch who gives this explanation in a
current issue of the "American Israelite:"
"Mr. Solomon Levitan, of Madison, Wis., a Russian Immigrant  who has had a
most remarkable career told me the story of his early struggles.  He was in his
youth collector for a charitable society in Wilna. On his weekly  collections
he noted the payment of dues by a little circle opposite the name of  the
members. Such a circle is called in the local Yiddish a "Kykala."  It seems
probable that drummers called the Russian  Jew, who unable to sign his name in
English made his handmark in the form of the  traditional "Kykala" a "Kyke." The
term undoubtedly originated as drummer  slang."
The above appears to be a reasonable explanation of this  offensive epithet
and now that we apparently know its birth we hope that some  one may discover a
means of putting it painlessly to  death.