Submariner (Namor) was Re: SUB

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 15 06:27:39 UTC 2007

I Googled Submariner/Sub-Mariner and got only various Stan Lee'd
versions of him that were nothing like the WWII Submariner, who looked
far less human. Also, not such a big deal was made of his real name.
He was "Submariiner" as "Superman" is "Superman" and not "Jor-El, Jr."
I went with SubmaREEner, till my mother corrected it to SubMARiner.
She was down with Southernisms, but not with "mispronunciations."
"(The Rime of the Ancient) Mariner" nailed the ceiling to the roof,
for me.

-Wilson

On 7/14/07, David Marc Fischer <davemarc at panix.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Marc Fischer <davemarc at PANIX.COM>
> Subject:      Submariner (Namor) was Re: SUB
>
> Here's a pronunciation from the 1960s.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRWeaHkxXwE
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>

> > I remember Sub-Mariner ... probably from his 1950's career. Namor's
> > physiognomy was something like that of Spock on "Star Trek", to my
> > perception. Namor was supposedly of half-human ancestry, I think.
> >
> > I've been uncertain of the 'proper' pronunciation of this
> > "Sub-Mariner" since my childhood; I don't remember what I heard Namor
> > called back when. Dictionaries show both pronunciations
> > ("submarine-er" and "sub-MARiner") for "submariner" = "submarine crewman".
> >
> > -- Doug Wilson
> >

> > --
> > 3:36 PM

-----