"This pudding has no theme" (Winston Churchill?)

Tue Jul 17 16:07:51 UTC 2007

Laurence Horn asked:

> Then there's the question of proof.  I wonder at what point "The proof
> of the pudding is in the eating" turned into the rather more opaque
> "The proof is in the pudding"...

I've found an example that shows it's far from recent:

1928 Decatur Herald (Decatur, Illinois) 5 Aug. 3/4 'Proof is in the
pudding' that a successful tennis court need not be a grass court nor even
a clay court, when a cinder covered playground is available.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words
E-mail: wordseditor at worldwidewords.org