"This pudding has no theme" (Winston Churchill?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 18 14:53:43 UTC 2007

At 9:31 AM -0400 7/18/07, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>Is the 'tain' in this quotation a cut-off 'certain'?
>
>There's no reason to think this would be plum pudding (certainly not the
>most common of British puddings, just the one that Americans know from
>Christmas songs or something), especially since a plum pudding would have a
>plum theme.  Pudding just means 'dessert' (well it can also mean a 'true
>pudding', such as sticky toffee pudding or but that's a sub-type and not
>the usual use of the word).  If his pudding had no theme (and if this is a
>literal description of an eating situation), then I'd bet that he was
>refusing to eat a pudding that wasn't based on one of the classic pudding
>recipes.
>
>Lynne

Wouldn't the classic (English) pudding have been not a sweet but a
savory?  There is, for example, blood pudding and such.  The earliest
OED cites (back to 1305) involve this meaning ('The stomach or one of
the entrails of a pig, sheep, or other animal, stuffed with a mixture
of minced meat, suet, oatmeal, seasoning, etc., boiled and kept till
needed; a kind of sausage: for different varieties, see BLACK, HOG'S,
WHITE PUDDING. Now chiefly Sc. and dial.') and that's what was
borrowed into French as "boudin".  The sweet ones came along later,
and I'd think at the time the proof of the pudding was determined to
be in the eating (1682 according to the OED, sense 6d), the savory
pudding was still dominant.  As for when the pudding had no theme,
perhaps the sweet puddings would come first to mind. (And there's
been a widening in British usage to end-of-the-meal sweets regardless
of manner of preparation or ingredients; very puzzling at first to
visitors from this side of the pond.)

(There's also a cute "coarse slang" sense, 5b, with reference to a
certain body-part--

1719 T. D'URFEY Wit & Mirth III. 73, I made a request to prepare
again, That I might continue in Love with the strain Of his Pudding.

I can imagine a motivated reanalysis of "the proof is in the
pudding", or possibly even the later variant, inspired thereby...)

LH