"This pudding has no theme"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jul 18 16:33:40 UTC 2007

Just for the record: Probably (but not certainly) antedating the 1623 appearance of the proverb in Camden's _Remaines_, John Fletcher's _The First Female_ has "The Pudding's now i'th proof"; the play is usually dated about 1611, though it was first published in 1647 (Fletcher died in 1625).

--Charlie