From Slashdot

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu Jul 19 22:38:17 UTC 2007

>"FOR-midable" is currently being used in the voice-over for an ad that
>occasionally runs on local TV. Otherwise, it's been dekkids, ca. the
>Vietnam era, since I've heard the word used. As for "exquisite," I
>hear it all the time on TV, on the radio, and in the wild, and it's
>always "ex-QUIsite." I fight the good fight and continue to use
>"EX-quisite," but I'm pretty much alone in that. Even my wife uses
>"ex-QUIsite."
>
>-Wilson
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm with you here, Wilson.  I say "FORmidable," " EXquisite" (In fact
"exQUISite" sets my teeth on edge!), and even " PEEjorative" (in which I am
practically the last known survivor  [Sen Byrd of W. Va, being the other]).
When I have occasion (rarely!) to use it, I say "DESuetude." I no longer
defend any of these pronunciations, having been brought kicking & screaming
to realize that these are matters susceptible to  the rhythms of fashion.
Like the length & width of neckties,  the length of skirts, &c., these
things come & go in waves.
AM