"until" vs "before" or "to" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Jul 20 17:56:07 UTC 2007

Peter Trudgill cites it in Chapter 1 of _On Dialect_ (p. 26; I'm looking at
it right now).  He says it's "usual in many varieties spoken in Scotland,
Ireland, and Liverpool" and means "so that I can punch you." But only half
of his NS BrE informants chose the right meaning, about the same as the
number of NNS informants.  And by the way, he cites it as "till"!