A valedictory f.w.i.w.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 21 21:25:47 UTC 2007

Hi Tom,

I was thinking the unnamed offender might have
been me, based on the exchange we had on "venery"
(one source or two) back a year and a half ago or
so (and the fact that I fit the job description).
I was going to say that I had not intended any
petulance, nor engaged in vulgarity (I try to be
careful to avoid directing any vulgarity toward
others while feeling free to mention and analyze
it ad nauseam), but on closer examination of the
archives I've come to the conclusion that I may
not have been your target.  If I'm wrong in
absolving myself and I was your target, I
apologize; I certainly had to intention of
driving you away over a controversy on the
development of the PIE roots of desire.

Now, I'd have thought Mr. Aman was the one who
engaged in vituperation, ad hominem attacks, and
various other unmotivated calumnies, but he's not
a professor of lingusitics and as I recall didn't
direct any of his attacks on you, so he couldn't
have been the perpetrator of the final straw.

Larry